(October 21, 2019)
The Library and Archives at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), a world renowned research institution, is seeking a Digital Archivist to join their team. The Digital Archivist will be responsible for maintaining the digital materials created by the CSHL Archives, including the creation of metadata records, preservation, description, and access to these materials as well as for transformation of archival documents into digital objects. These materials include a digital collection of a Nobel Prize Laureate, among other items. This individual will be supervised by the Systems and Operations Manager and the position is approved as a one year appointment, with the possibility to be extended.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Work to ensure that digital content of Nobel Prize Laureate’s manuscript collections is as accessible as possible to appropriate audiences, following the structures of privacy concerns, copyright regulations.
- Bridge the multiple discovery systems and access tools (such as Omeka and ArchivesSpace).
- Manage the transformation of archival collections into digital objects from both physical materials and digital-born formats.
- Ingest objects into archival systems.
- Audit and perform clean-ups of metadata as needed.
- Create relevant metadata to increase use of digitized Nobel Prize Laureate’s collections.
- Ensure accuracy of descriptive, structural, and administrative metadata.
- Follow professional metadata standards for digitized content in a digital library (e.g. DCMI, MODS), as well as catalog born-digital archival materials (i.e. DACS, EAD).
- Work closely with the Systems & Operations to determine priorities for digitization.
- Maintain high level of image and descriptive quality.
- Ensure that content is reliably preserved.
- Perform additional duties and assists with special projects as assigned.
Education: Master’s degree in library/information science, with archives concentration or graduate degree in history (or related discipline) is required.
- Minimum two years’ experience working as an archivist or librarian.
- Experience using a digital asset management system required.
- Knowledge of digital preservation theory and practice, including current technologies, administrative/technical metadata, file format standards, and the OAIS reference model highly preferred.
- Must be aware of digital archives best practices and technologies.
- Experience using or managing Microsoft Office Suite, ArchivesSpace, and Omeka preferred.
- Demonstrates knowledge of archival theory and practice
- Strong organizational skills, including careful attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a supportive and collaborative fashion
- Demonstrates eagerness to learn new procedures, equipment, standards, policies, skills as needed
If interested, please apply for this position via the CSHL website at:
Position Number: 00459-E
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution recognized internationally for its excellence in ground-breaking research programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics, and bioinformatics and broad educational mission.
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at https:// www.cshl.edu
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor