(November 28, 2023)
Position Title - Assistant Archivist
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.)- Digital Archivist & Archives Manager
Position Type - Full-time, term
Benefits - Yes
Salary Range - $66,000 - $75,000
Hauser & Wirth Institute
New York City
Position Type: Full-time Contract (18 months)
Salary: $65,000 - $68,000/year
Application Deadline: December 13, 2023
ABOUT HAUSER & WIRTH INSTITUTE
Hauser & Wirth Institute is a non-profit, private foundation dedicated to transforming the field of artists’ archives by nurturing equity and innovation and increasing access to archives. Operating independently of commercial interests, the Institute awards grants for progressive archival projects and education, provides in-house processing for selected artists’ and organizations’ archives, and organizes public programming that enlivens and expands conversations around artistic legacies.
Hauser & Wirth Institute seeks an experienced archivist to join its team. This position’s primary responsibility will be processing archives as part of the Institute’s in-house archiving program, a free service that provides processing, preservation, and selective digitization of archives for artists and arts organizations. The Assistant Archivist will appraise, arrange, describe, rehouse and digitize collections loaned to the Institute in accordance with archival best practices. In addition, this position will help promote our mission by assisting in programming that advances equity and innovation in the field.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of commitment to and active participation in the field, and keep abreast of current trends, in particular around advocacy for community archives. They will be a creative thinker with the ability to adapt and remain agile in the face of change, as well as a self-directed worker who can remain motivated when working alone.
Under the supervision of the Digital Archivist & Archives Manager, the Assistant Archivist's duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Arranging, describing, and rehousing archival collections according to archival standards
- Creating and updating finding aids in ArchivesSpace
- Digitizing materials in-house and/or liaising with digitization vendor(s)
- Facilitating research requests, both in person and remotely
- Contributing to the Institute’s public programming and education programs
- Creating and sharing content on the Institute's social media account
- Co-supervising one or more interns, with the Digital Archivist & Archives Manager
- Acting as an advocate for the Institute and its mission by participating in and developing public programs
- Master’s degree in library and information science or MA with a concentration in archives
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated experience with processing and preservation of archival materials
- Experience with EAD, DACS, and other metadata standards
- Experience using ArchivesSpace or other archival management software
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to lift and move boxes weighing up to 35 pounds
- Coursework in art history and/or demonstrated knowledge of post-war and contemporary art
- Experience working with artists’ archives
- Experience processing born-digital and/or audiovisual materials
- Experience managing or supervising interns, including delegating tasks, timekeeping, etc.
This is a full-time contract position, salaried at $65,000 - $68,000 per year, with an expected start date of January 22, 2024, and end date of July 25, 2025. Hauser & Wirth Institute offers a competitive benefit package, including fully subsidized dental, vision, and healthcare. Applicants should be based in New York or the Tri-State area, and should be available to work in-person at HWI’s processing facility in Long Island City.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the position title in the email subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
Hauser & Wirth Institute is an equal opportunity employer. The Institute does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. We are committed to hiring and promoting individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.