(October 5, 2023)
Position Title - Community Archivist
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.)- Executive Director
Position Type - Part-time, permanent
Benefits - No
Hourly wage range - $25 - $30
Visual AIDS seeks a Community Archivist to manage the growth of our archival collections and programs. As we continue to invest in the growth and care of the Visual AIDS Archive, the Community Archivist will become a core staff position. This is a growing position that we intend to transition to a full-time role by 2025.
Part-Time (24 hours/week)
In-Person, New York, NY
Compensation: $25–30/hour, based on experience
- Hands-on processing, arrangement, and description of existing collections
- Interface with community members
- Develop and implement community-based archival policies and manage collections growth
The Community Archivist should:
- Be a people person who is comfortable communicating directly and empathetically with our diverse constituency.
- Have hands-on experience in processing archival collections and archival management, preferably in a community-based archive setting.
- Have a strong interest in learning about the intersections of AIDS activism, related cultural production, and contemporary and historic artistic communities. Interest and familiarity with downtown New York art histories of the 1980s and 90s is a plus.
Application Deadline: October 30
Commitment and Compensation: This is a part-time (24 hours per week) permanent position, primarily working in-person at the Visual AIDS office in Chelsea, New York. Compensation is $25–30/hr, based on experience. Benefits include 48 hours of paid time off per year and 40 hours of sick and safe leave per year.
To apply: Send a cover letter, résumé, and references as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 30.