Special Collections Archivist
(October 30, 2022)
Position Title - Special Collections Archivist
Supervisor Title (All entry and mid-level position supervisors should be qualified, professional archivists.)- Executive Director of Library and Archives
Position Type - Full-time, permanent
Benefits - Yes
Salary Range - $45,000 - $55,000
The Special Collections Archivist is responsible for processing and overseeing collections such as the Genentech Center for the History of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Collections, the BGI Nobel Laureates Collections. Defined as materials from prominent scientists or scientific movements that did not primarily take place at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory but showcase exemplary work in the fields specialized at the Laboratory, Special Collections traces the development of modern molecular biology over the course of more than 100 years. Prominent collections include materials from Nobel Laureates such as Sydney Brenner, Hermann J. Muller, Frances Crick, Carol Greider as well as the Matthew Meselson, Robert Olby, Norton Zinder, Janet Mertz collections and others.
The position is a liaison between the Archives and the public, and is responsible for making the unique historical materials that constitute these collections accessible. Materials from the collection are also utilized by scholars, educators, and media publishers, as well as in-house by the CSHL Press, Public Affairs, and Development departments.This position works with interns and scholars and assists with outreach and the promotion of the archives’ special collections.
- The archivist provides reference assistance to both internal (CSHL) and external patrons for the Special Collections. This includes answering reference questions, providing photocopies and digital copies of material from the collections, conducting in-depth research as requested from the Archives users, and providing publication quality images for textbooks, magazines, films, and other projects as needed.
Collection Processing & Management:
- Day-to-day activities include accessioning new material; fielding reference requests from both internal and external patrons; processing collections; writing and updating finding aids; digitization ingest; basic preservation tasks.
- The position is responsible for broadening the Archives audience online through the use of Instagram, Twitter, and the Archives blog. This position also helps develop and implement exhibits in collaboration the Senior Archivist and Executive Director of Library & Archives. The position also creates posters and announcement flyers for Archives events, such as talks, meetings, and presentations.
Development of New Collection Areas:
- Along with the Senior Archivist and Executive Director of Library & Archives, the position will help develop and pursue new areas of collection development in conjunction with the Center for Humanities at the Library & Archives. The development of a Women in Science collection will be a dual responsibility of both the Senior Archivist and the Special Collections Archivist. Pursuing donations and acquisitions of the collections of prominent women scientists in medical and genetic biology and assisting in the planning and organization of events focused on Women in Science will be the initial goals for this responsibility.
Masters in Library Science from ALA accredited institution.
Minimum 1 years of professional experience in an archival setting performing tasks such as processing, arranging, describing, and providing reference for archival/manuscript collections.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft software suite.
- Strong knowledge of descriptive standards, such as Dublin Core, EAD and XML.
-Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to move 40lbs.
- Experience using a Content Management System such as ArchivesSpace.
- Experience with a Digital Asset Management System.
- Experience supervising interns and student workers.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should apply for this position via the CSHL website at:
Position Number: 00633-E
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at: www.cshl.edu
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor